Sunday 8 May 2016

Body Journey Investigations Reflections

At the beginning of this unit, we jumped into our investigation by exploring in more detail different systems in the body, such as the skeletal and digestive systems. However, we also looked at the human body as a whole, to see where the different systems are situated, as well as to get a sense of their interconnectedness.

We did this through song, puzzles, models, writing and research.

Students worked in groups and made decisions about how to engage their peers in their inquiry, as a means to share and learn from each other.

Some decided to present an activity for peers to work through, others made a movie with an attached activity, whilst others engaged their peers in song.

Here are the results of our reflections since we did this activity which has in fact, led to further investigation that we are attending to at present.

My group was the group that was reworking the Digestive System explanation text done with Ms.Marcelle, that was read out to the class. I already know many things about the Digestive System because, I've learnt about it before. Well, now, I actually know more things about it like the acid that was produced... But, I still wonder about how long it will take for a piece of food to travel through the Digestive System because, some people say it's 6hrs, some others say it's 24hrs, even websites and are not accurate. So I think I need to do more research on my own.


For the Skeletal Group, who used song and a google slide to teach us which bone is connected to which, they did great. Other information was great and knowledgeable though and the song 'Dem Bones' was great and interesting. I understand more about the skeletal system now and I know that I can develop it further.

For the group on Human Anatomy which created a movie and used the human figures to explain, the information was good, but wasn't that clear in the video (lacks clarity in voice). It's actually a good idea to use the human figure to actually tell us where each organ was, so that we can understand better. Now, I actually know more about where our organs were because of that. The knowledgeable information that was said in the video helped me understand more about the human body.

What I liked about the skeletal group was that they had an activity for us to do. We measured ourselves and other people to get our stats and that was fun. I've learnt that everyone is different not only with their measurements but nearly everything. We have different length of bones (though some are the same) and we develop differently.

The Jigsaw puzzle group didn't really say that much, because it was located in the puzzle already, and also told us where each body system was. They also have two activities that we all did which was good. I know that there are lots of body systems crowded up in our body that work together which was more complicated than the most complicated machine.


I learnt about human anatomy from the group that had the human body statues. I learned a bit on where certain organs go in your torso.
I still wonder about why tall people can have the same spinel cord length as shorter people.
I know that the heart is under the lungs and the kidneys are around your hips.
I now understand the process of the digestive system and how it works.
I now know which bones connect to which bones. Example: The thigh bone is connected to your hip bone.

For the skeleton group, I learnt about the different types of bones and how some of the bones lengths are the same as others while some are different. I still wonder about some of the bones names and uses. For the jigsaw puzzle, I now know the locations of the systems and other body parts, but they didn't include all, so I still wonder about the rest, because I know what they are, but not where. For the 2nd group on human anatomy, they also did the same as the previous one, but with more information. For the Skeletal group, I still wonder which bones are connected to the other and specifically which bone. For my group, I learnt more about the digestive system while researching and I learnt what most of the organs actually do. I still wonder about what some of the other organs do but I will do further research about it.













No comments:

Post a Comment